Sunday, October 25, 2009

25.52795031055900621118

That's the average miles per day since I started keeping track of my miles this year on May 23rd. And while just over 25 miles on a bike doesn't sound like far to most of the cycling folks I know, over time it adds up. Total miles ridden since May 23rd....

4110

Thats getting up there. One of the folks in the Club that I ride with know mentioned he had around 6000 for the year so far a few weeks back. While I was riding before the end of May, I hadn't kept track of the miles until then. I had other things on my mind with my wife's health at the time.

Anyway, its been great. I would have never thought I'd have ridden that distance when I started. Heck, I didn't really have a plan when I started keeping track of my mileage at all. I do remember during that first solid week where I started keeping track, thinking "I'm not sure how long I can keep riding, but I'll ride today and see how I feel tomorrow". All of a sudden it was a week later, and I had ridden every day that week. I then forced myself to take a day off, and started all over again.

23 weeks later, I'm still going. Every day hasn't been spectacular, I'll be honest about that. There were certainly days where I had to talk myself into going back out, especially when it was windier than normal, or the weather was bad or on the way to turning bad. Those days I'd remind myself of what I thought at the beginning of my real riding this year... "I'm not sure how long I can keep riding, but I'll ride today and see how I feel tomorrow", a few miles into the ride, I'd wonder what all the fuss was about anyway. I was out there, riding along, and happy for it.

It looks like I'll be crossing 5k miles for the year at this rate, as long as the weather holds out. We're headed into the rainy season here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm prepared for the rain. Fenders, rain jacket, lights, etc. I know at some point the weather won't be great as I prepare to head out. As long as I think back and remember "I'm not sure how long I can keep riding, but I'll ride today and see how I feel tomorrow.", I know I'll be fine.

No comments: